142 North Railroad Avenue
Hours: M-F 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Sat 7:00 a.m .- 1:00 p.m.
CLICK HERE: Mahwah Recycles Chart
WHAT IS TO BE RECYCLED - How To Prepare It
The following “Recyclable Materials” will be collected curbside by the Township. Effective January 1, 2008, the Township Recycling regulations changed to the following: all glass, plastic, tin and aluminum recyclable items can be placed in the same container for curbside pickup by the Township Recycling Department. Residents can place these items at the curb in containers no larger than 40 gallons. DO NOT put recycling in plastic bags/
The schedule for recycling material has remained the same; there are no changes in service. Please see schedule below including the recycling section listing. The remaining material (newspaper, magazines and cardboard) are to be prepared using existing regulations as listed below.
Residents who wish to continue to separate their recycling material can do so at the Recycling Center on North Railroad Avenue. Residents in Fardale can still separate items at Co. #4 Firehouse on Fardale Avenue on Saturdays between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. (Please check the schedule for the Saturdays this service is not available). If there are any questions, please call the Department of Public Works - 201-529-3344.
- Newspapers: Newspapers must be bundled and string tied. NO brown bags, magazines or junk mail are to be included in the bundles. Bundles should not be more than 30 pounds in weight.
- Magazines: must be bundled and string tied. No newspapers, brown bags or junk mail are to be included in the bundles. Bundles should not be more than 30 pounds in weight.
- Cardboard: Cardboard should be folded or cut and string tied in bundles weighing no more than 30 pounds. For large amounts of cardboard, call the recycling center for special arrangements.
- Aluminum & Metal Cans: Food and beverage cans only. All labels must be removed and insides should be rinsed clean.
- Glass: All glass goods should be rinsed clean and unbroken. No mirrors, plate glass, china, light bulbs, ceramic or porcelain goods will be collected.
- Plastic: Food and beverage containers. Plastic containers with Codes 1-7. Please remove all caps from plastic beverage containers.
- All recyclables must be at curb by 7:00 a.m.
- Pick up starts at 7:00 a.m. - each street is picked up ONCE.
The following items may be dropped off at the Recycling Center located at 142 North Railroad Avenue:
|AUTO BATTERIES||Car batteries only|
|HOUSEHOLD BATTERIES||Barrels provided for disposal|
|CARDBOARD||Must be cut and bundled|
|SCRAP METAL||All metal waste and household appliances|
|NEWSPAPER||No brown or plastic bags|
|MAGAZINES||No brown or plastic bags|
|GLASS||Containers provided for deposit|
|PLASTIC||Barrels provided for deposit|
|TIN CANS||Barrels provided for deposit|
|ALUMINUM||Barrels provided for deposit|
|MIXED PAPER||Office files, computer, brown bags, all paper products|
|ELECTRONICS||Computers, TVs, radios, microwaves|
Factories, Warehouse, Office complexes, Service Stations, Hotels and all commercial establishments are required to comply with the Recycling Act.
Business pickups will be on Thursday and Friday of every week. If there is a problem establishing a program, the Recycling Coordinator will assist. When recycling materials are prepared for pickup they must follow the same criteria as for a curbside pickup.
The following multiple family residences have "on premise depots" for all recyclable items to be picked up. There will be no curbside pick-up for these associations. For further information call your management group or condo association.
Bogerts Ranch Estates Mall Apartments
Brookside Manor Paddington Square
Chapel Greens Pond Meadows
Franklin Crossing Kilmer Woods I, II, III
Ramapo Brae Lindvale Garden Apartments
Ramapo Garden Apartments Rolling Hills Apartments
In case of snow there will be no pickup - pickup will be on your next regular scheduled pickup day
E. Ramapo Ave.
(East to Railroad Bridge)
N. Ramapo Ave.
No. Railroad Ave.
Ramapo Valley Road
(from stateline south
to Route 17)
S. Railroad Ave.
W. Airmount Rd.
(from Island Rd east
to Railroad Bridge)
W. Ramapo Ave.
(from Rt. 17 east to
Chapel Rd. (Pulis to Youngs)
Forest Hill Ave.
Old Oak Dr.
Stone Fence Rd.
Van Bolen Way
Van Brookhaven Ct.
Van Mullen St.
Walnut St. W.
Watch Hill Rd.
W. Crescent Ave.
(from Chapel to
Fardale Woods Estate
Chapel (Youngs to
Fawn Hill Dr.
Fox River Crossing
Glen Gray Rd.
Midvale Mountain Rd
Ramapo Valley Rd.
(South of Darlington
Rio Vista Estates
Turners Lake Rd.
W. Deerhaven Rd.
Bridle Path Ln.
Clove Brook Rd.
N. Glasgow Terr.
Ramapo Valley Rd.
(from Route17 South
Snow Mountain Rd.
Split Rock Rd.
Stag Hill Rd.
W. Ramapo Avenue (Rt. 17
to Rt. 202)
Greenway on the Ridge